Interesting People mailing list archives

Comcast's "Evil Bot" Scanning Project (Lauren Weinstein)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 08:09:53 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Andrew C Burnette <acb () acb net>
Date: October 10, 2009 10:29:45 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, Jason_Livingood () cable comcast com
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Comcast's "Evil Bot" Scanning Project (Lauren Weinstein)

Dave,

For IP if you wish.

I think comcast deserves major "thumbs up" for taking *any* action. For
years in the industry, email (corporate/enterprise/gov't/etc) have often
had to block all residential ISP email in some form or fashion due to
the utter lack of enforcement or action towards "unfortunate users" who
have infected machines.

I think it's hard to argue that public disclosure of their efforts (not
methods) is a big leap forward compared to the missteps of the p2p/etc
traffic management of recent times. Much better.

As an example, I recently advised an ISP on their impending "agreement"
to block piratebay. Using my recommendation, they put up a simple text
web page explaining what and why, and despite it not being a popular
action, almost no one called customer care to complain, as the ISP
openly and actively informed users "what and why" which is miles ahead,
and avoided numerous retaliatory actions users could have taken. Much
like calling the power company (or any service you purchase), if you get
a real answer rather than a false or ignorant "what?" response, you as a
customer feel like they are being upfront, and despite identical
outcomes, will respect the honesty in the end, as will other users.

There are a couple things that any provider can do to mitigate some of these

1- setup another server/service with proper authentication & SSL/TLS and
message submission capabilities. Well covered and supported in many
popular commercial and open source MTA software packages. Makes it easy
for the rest of us to whitelist that particular aspect of the service.

2- change the name of the outbound server from "mail.domain" to
"mailhost.domain" (or anything other than mail.domain ; we did this in
1993 at AT&T/Bell labs; still works today) as a vast majority of malware
and bots simply attempt to relay through "mail." and let the DNS search
domain take care of the rest. This also cuts a huge $$ cost in customer
care, and the abuse@ desk. This tends to be a significant cost center in
the grand scheme of end user ISP operations, often more expensive than
providing basic transport services themselves.

3- Network metadata profiling. Doesn't violate *any* privacy principles
of the end user, and yields loads of good information which can be used
to notify infested users. Also a good upsell tool for care packages
which many many users do need, and are happy to pay for.

Same rules help corporate/enterprise users using the wifi at hotels and
conferences. If your IT dept doesn't support message submission protocol
and TLS/SSL and related "best practices" it is a good idea to ask, and
provide suggestions. Also, eliminates much of the VPN need and support
for something that users typically dislike. It's built into most apps
and MTA's/browsers; use it.

Whatever the opinion might be overall, I give comcast major respect and
thanks for taking on a scurge of an issue. Non trivial, but even if they
manage to clean 1/2 their unfortunate users, the rest of us on the net
appreciate the efforts. I say good luck, and stand your ground.

Best regards,
Andy Burnette

Begin forwarded message: