Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: The 'Wi-Fi At Conferences' Problem

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 08:08:32 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat net>
Date: October 10, 2009 9:57:53 PM EDT
To: Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig () gmail com>
Cc: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: The 'Wi-Fi At Conferences' Problem

(Copying Dave, in case he's interested in the answers)

At 07:09 PM 10/10/2009, Joshua Tinnin wrote:

Are there any backward compatibility issues in regards to using 802.11a and wireless clients?

Some older 802.11a access points are not of good quality (such as the old Netgear APs). But the newer ones are probably some of the best radios made today.

Also, what do you consider quality brand/type APs, particularly in conference situations like the one described, or even a bit smaller scale?

The routers we build have integrated radios, which we turn into access points. Of the third party access points, some of the best are the ones made for wireless ISPs, such as Tranzeo.

I really wish that the laptop LAN drivers for Windows supported half (10 MHz) and quarter (5 MHz) channels, since at close range one can get fantastic spectral efficiencies and larger channels are wasteful. But since they do not, we use 20 MHz channels. We also must have a certain number of plain vanilla 802.11b access points scattered about, to support users with legacy hardware. But we encourage the users to use the 802.11a APs if at all possible.

Have you found cost to be an issue when trying to cover larger areas, because of the restricted range of 802.11a, possibly necessitating purchasing more APs for the same area than you would need using 802.11g/n?

Given the "population density" of conferences, we actually want them to cover less area, not more. Due to just the basic overhead of maintaining the connections, an AP should not try to handle more than 48 simultaneous users. If you give several APs the same ESSID and then tell each to limit the number of clients that connect, most laptops will automatically roam among them until they find one that's below quota.

--Brett Glass