Interesting People mailing list archives

Comcast's "Evil Bot" Scanning Project (Lauren Weinstein)

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 14:03:08 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Levine <johnl () iecc com>
Date: October 10, 2009 13:33:21 EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>, lauren () vortex com
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Comcast's "Evil Bot" Scanning Project (Lauren Weinstein)

I don't see where Comcast is being transparent about *how* they do
this, or giving customers a chance to opt-in or -out.

Right.  Do you suppose there's a reason they'd rather not publish
instructions to tell bot writers how to circumvent their defenses?

If you're wondering how their sandbox works, look at the I-D they
sent in last week.

If I send a lot of email, why does that make me a "bot"? Maybe I just
send a lot of email.

It doesn't.  As others have noted, it's not hard to tell bot behavior
from heavy user behavior.

But to be honest, in most markets, Comcast is the only real choice,
and imposing their "features" on me might not be what I want, ...

Ah yes, "ISPs musn't deal with dangerous software installed on their
networks by criminals because it might, hypothetically, inconvenience
me."  Get real.  This is not a few script kiddies.  This is
sophisticated criminal malware that does things like rewriting online
bank transcations in real time to steal money from users' accounts,
and DDoS ecommerce sites in extortion schemes.  It would be
irresponsible for large ISPs like Comcast NOT to use whatever tools
they have to deal with it.

R's,
John