Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Comcast's "Evil Bot" Scanning Project (Lauren Weinstein)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 03:21:46 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Vint Cerf <vint () google com>
Date: October 12, 2009 3:09:09 AM EDT
To: "George Ou" <george_ou () lanarchitect net>

George,

I would have expected most email-borne virus checking to be done at the post-message assembly level, not packet by packet. DPI has limited reassembly scope. If someone is sending malware by email, I would expect the ISP that provides the email service (not necessarily the same as the ISP providing access service) would be where the detection occurs - the same may be said for incoming email.

As to cutting someone off if an infected machine is detected, this only makes sense if there is an easy way to clear the problem reliably and quickly. I am not too impressed by the current crop of virus/worm/ trojan cleansing software. This reminds me of the credit card companies early attempt to detect fraudulent use of stolen credit cards - three failures to enter the PIN caused the cards to be eaten by the machine. This pissed so many consumers off (who simply could not remember their PINs) that they stopped the practice.

It would be great to find much better tools for resisting, detecting and eliminating malware once detected.

Depending on what information is obtained and/or kept using DPI, there is plainly a potential for considerable invasion - it's not so much the method as the question of what is retained that concerns most folks.