Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: The 'Wi-Fi At Conferences' Problem

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 09:47:46 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat net>
Date: October 9, 2009 7:54:44 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, "ip" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] The 'Wi-Fi At Conferences' Problem

Dave, for IP if you will.

Because our ISP has developed BSD UNIX-based traffic shaping and anti- bandwidth hogging software for its own networks, we have also deployed it for conferences. It does a good job of keeping each user's bandwidth use to a sane level, and is capable of administratively blocking activities that have no place on a shared conference LAN.

We also use RF tricks. One of the best is to use 802.11a, which has lots of non-overlapping channels. (You can even use alternate channels, especially if you use the lower, indoor-only ones.) Also, when they process 802.11a, the chipsets also tend to be better at filtering out unwanted signals on nearby frequencies. 5 GHz signals also penetrate walls poorly, which is a good thing; it allows frequency reuse and helps to avoid interference from sources outside the building or in other parts of the venue.

It also helps to know your equipment and use quality gear. When I attended David Isenberg's conference a couple of years back, the folks who were running the network use Linksys routers, but with the upstream network cables plugged into the 4 port switch rather than into the upstream port of the NAT router.

I believe they did this -- in a spirit of extreme "network purism" -- so that they could avoid doing NAT and give every client a public, static IP. (You can't turn NAT off on the Linksys routers, so they couldn't just give each router a subnet.)

An interesting idea in theory, but a bad one in practice. Not only did this architecture fail to prevent broadcast packets from being relayed between the APs, jamming the network; it also triggered a known bug in the Linksys routers that caused packets to be reflected back from the access points.

At that conference, as at many others, I fell back to EV-DO when the network fell apart.

--Brett Glass