Interesting People mailing list archives

more on "War on Terra" saves few lives, expert says

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 07:57:35 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Barry Ritholtz <ritholtz () optonline net>
Date: September 12, 2005 9:10:25 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Brian Smithson <brian () grot com>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on "War on Terra" saves few lives, expert says

Dear Dave and Brian,

Sigh . . .  How soon they forget.

It was, and remains, a most glaring falsehood and an insupportable notion that "no one had any idea that commercial planes would be used as part of the attack."

On July 26, 2001, CBS reported that Attorney General John Ashcroft, on the advice of his FBI security detail, stopped flying on Commercial Aircraft. Previously, he had flown commercial, as did his predecessor, Janet Reno.

Ahem -- An edict to the AG that he NOT FLY COMMERCIAL AIRCRAFT is solid evidence that the FBI knew that aircraft were a potential target. Given all the terrorist "chatter" which intelligence agencies have said existed in June and July of 2001, its clear that there was plenty of notice about commercial aircraft. (Not that "we" heard anything about it at the time).

San Francisco Gate columnist Harley Sorensen reported the same on June 3, 2002. This is simply old news, still available on the web. (anyone else could have found these in all of 30 seconds)

The New York Times noted today that in an August 6, 2001, President Bush was told that Al Qaeda might seek to hijack aircraft. The 9/11 Commission has found that US intelligence agencies had some warning of terrorists using airplanes as missiles.

That's before we even get to Richard Clarke's testimony about 1996 Atlanta Olympics security detail. He's commented that the security detail had fixed on ways to prevent aircraft from being flown into the Olympic stadium, creating a no fly zone, using helicopters, etc.

You can see all the sources below:

Sources:

Ashcroft Flying High
Jim Stewart
CBS News, Washington, July 26, 2001
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2001/07/26/national/main303601.shtml

Video: Ashcroft No Longer Flying Commercial Jets

Heads-Up To Ashcroft Proves Threat Was Known Before 9/11
Harley Sorensen,
SF Gate, June 3, 2002
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/gate/archive/ 2002/06/03/hsorensen.DTL

Meet the Press,
White House counterterrorism official Richard Clarke
March 28, 2004
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4608698/

Mendacity Index: Which president told the biggest whoppers?
The Washington Monthly, September 2003
http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2003/0309.mendacity- experts.html

Barry L. Ritholtz
The Big Picture: Macro perspectives on the Capital Markets, Economy, and Geopolitics
(with a dash of music and film thrown in!)
http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments