Interesting People mailing list archives

more on "War on Terra" saves few lives, expert says

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 13:28:35 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: ken kousky <kkousky () ip3inc com>
Date: September 11, 2005 1:12:13 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, 'Ip Ip' <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: RE: [IP] more on "War on Terra" saves few lives, expert says

Bewildered by these studies?

What they DO PROVE (as along as we can assume a scientific vs faith- based approach here) is that in a world constrained by scare resources, if we wish
to spend security dollars effectively - that is, where they have the
greatest impact, we would evaluate our risks economically. We'd calculated expected losses. We'd use the best state of science, with full knowledge of
it's limitations, to make educated guesses.

That's what our security agencies that comprise DHS as well as DoD have
done. Security is about threats - it's not just about terrorism. That's a
political manipulation and distortion of security. The experts have done
their homework but the politicians continue to sell out.

DHS has addressed the health care infrastructure with plans to respond to terrorism when that money could have helped fund EMR and information systems needed to rapidly identify virus outbreaks. I spoke to a group of critical care nurses who have had no training or even discussions on flu pandemics.
They are prepped for terrorism. We've hijacked billions of dollars and
thrown them at the wrong threats.

We ARE getting bigger government - much, much bigger. But we're getting less
reduction in the expected losses.

What these studies tell us: we are more likely to see a flu pandemic kill our loved ones, than terrorism. That's what the studies tell us. Shouldn't
we invest accordingly?

KWK