Interesting People mailing list archives

more on query on eBay to Acquire Skype

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 07:58:22 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob2-19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: September 12, 2005 8:46:53 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, 'Ip Ip' <ip () v2 listbox com>
Cc: 'Irwin Lazar' <ilazar () burtongroup com>
Subject: RE: [IP] more on query on eBay to Acquire Skype

I wanted to keep my comments short so I didn't go into the many issues of
the competitive landscape.

Presence and other capabilities that Skype provides are not at all special
-- they just did a good job and had an advantage over the open source
projects in that they could take bold steps in implementing their
capabilities.

With Skype as an example it becomes easier for open source projects and
standards efforts to cooperate towards a visible goal and I expect it
happen though as long as Skype executes well and doesn't generate too much resentment there might not be a strong motivation. Personally I don't like the Skype in/out/mail deposits expiring. It would behoove Microsoft, Google and others to cooperate. Jabber has had a problem getting traction so far
but that can change.

There is a lot one can do beyond Skype but it's hard to get people excited
without having an example to follow.

I presume AOL's AIM is still dominating IM but since they get too easily
confused by my dual LAN and other technology issues I no longer use them. I
don't know if they are capable of cooperating with others.

I agree with Brock -- the sellers are the winners in this particular
auction. As to who actually gets what -- the deals are often more
complicated underneath and may involve future profits. Perhaps after this sale they my find it safe to visit the US but probably not ... it's simply
too risk to visit the land of DRM, DMCA, RIAA etc.

I wonder how well AOL did on the ICQ deal -- here too I think the sellers did well. They took their money and put it back into creating new things --
rich geeks are an asset.