Interesting People mailing list archives

more on "War on Terra" saves few lives, expert says

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 10:58:23 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: h_bray () globe com
Date: September 13, 2005 8:36:20 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on "War on Terra" saves few lives, expert says

One more brief comment:

A discussion of a rather dubious  "scientific" paper has shifted into a
discussion of whether or not 9/11 was foreseen by anybody other than Tom
Clancy. Lots of people have piled onto a comment I tossed off merely as a casual aside. And a good thing too, for their comments only reinforce my
point.

Yes, I know some other experts had thought of the idea of terrorists
crashing planes into buildings. So what? It's obvious that it still took virtually the entire planet by surprise. Merely noting that other experts had considered the idea doesn't alter the central point--that until 9/11, it was considered a low-probability event and very little effort was made
to fend off such an attack.

The Emory paper was produced by someone who's still acting as if we still inhabited that innocent pre-9/11 world. The entire argument assumes that
while diseases are clear and present dangers to human life, terrorist
attacks are not.   Because mass-casualty attacks happen rarely, it's a
waste of money to try and prevent them.

But the people who've howled at me for my comment on 9/11 should themselves see the folly of this argument. Terrorist attacks aren't zero- probability events; they can and do happen. As my critics have noted, you actually can
predict that these guys will keep getting more and more violent.  In
addition, we know that there are global networks of these guys always
looking for even more deadly methods for killing more and more and more
people. And if they had nuclear weapons, they'd use them without batting
an eye.

Faced with such an enemy, it's silly to say that we should instead spend
all our money on curing bird flu. Thanks for coming round to my point of
view, guys.

Hiawatha Bray