Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Honeypot Defintion - Almost There!

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 11:35:52 -0400

On Fri, 23 May 2003 17:05:30 +0200, Marc Dacier <marc.dacier () eurecom fr>  said:

For instance,  suppose that I install a honeypot behind my firewall where
it should -hopefully- see nothing. I don't want to use that honeypot to
monitor anything but, instead, to be a simplistic intrusion detection
system. My policy states that, as soon as a single packet reaches the
honeypot, my network must be disconnected from the internet because
something is wrong with the firewall  (ok, it's a silly example and a
rather stupid reaction but bare with me :-)   ).

There exist environments where this is *not* a silly example.. ;)

Heck, there exist environments where cable between rooms is run through
pressurized conduit, with pressure-sensitive alarms to detect the pressure
drop caused by a break, and armed Marines.  And Marines are renowned for
their ability to follow orders like "If this alarm goes off, shoot whoever
is standing by the pipe"

Needless to say, conduit maintenance is scheduled *VERY* carefully :)