Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Moving forward with defintion of honeypots

From: Scarecrow <scarecrow () runeweaver com>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 12:38:02 -0700

I am not a guru by any means, but I will toss out some thoughts:

Is not the value of the honeypot in the collecting of "data" _regarding_ the unauthorized or illicit use of that resource. Then it could further be stated that the data can be imbued with value through analysis, thus converting it into information??

Hope that does not restate any work that has already been done, or step on any toes... Just thought that it might be an interesting distinction...

-swc

Bill McCarty wrote:

Hi all,

   "A honeypot is an information system resource who's
    value lies in unauthorized or illicit use of that
    resource"

Okay, I'll definitely go anal here: This definition seems to imply that a honeypot has no value unless it's actually used without authorization or illicitly. I suggest that it's the *potential* for misuse -- and the data provided by actual misuse -- that make a honeypot valuable.

Moreover, from my perspective as an information systems researcher, the term "information system" refers to a particular type of system: one designed to provide information to organizational decision makers. To avoid this misappropriation <g> of the term, I suggest deleting the word "system."

So, even though it's rather wordy, I prefer the following:

"A honeypot is an information resource, the value of which lies in its potential for unauthorized or illicit use and the data provided by such misuse."

Cheers,

Bill McCarty