funsec mailing list archives

Re: FBI: More Guns == Less Crime

From: "Tomas L. Byrnes" <tomb () byrneit net>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 13:50:21 -0800

Your problem is that you only focus on "Gun Crime". Yobs kicking you in
the head until you become a drooling idiot for the rest of your life is
also a violent crime. That happens a lot less in the US, because said
yobs are often shot, except in places with gun bans.

I'll take the higher risk of being shot for the MUCH lower risk of being
mugged, beaten, stabbed, etc.; and the attendant generally more civil
society that goes with it.

I grew up in Ireland, where gun control did nothing to stop the IRA or
the rise of criminal gangs, but has made being a street thug a pretty
safe occupation.

I much prefer the general lack of omnipresent fisticuffs in the US. If
that means a higher risk of being shot, so be it. On the list of risks
to my life and limb, it's 1/10 that of dying from medical malpractice,
yet the AMA seems to think it's their bailiwick to try to ban guns.

Physicians, heal thyselves.

The headline is "More guns, less crime". Part of being free means having
the means to defend yourself.