Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Re: Anybody Recognize These Uploads?

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 12:38:17 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 5 Jan 2003, Christopher Hicks wrote:

Not really, most of the common executable types can be filtered without
worrying about signatures.  If you're allowing unzipped executables in,
you probably need your head examined at this point in time for anything
that's not a pure Linux shop, and even then, wine's getting a bit too
good...  If you're allowing .[something] and .[somethingelse], well...

True enough.  We have been using MailScanner ( www.mailscanner.info ) for
virus checking and spam checking, but it filters on configurable
extensions as well.  It comes with a reasonable set of defaults that
includes the above.  I can see that most would differentiate virus
checking and extention filtering, but for me they all came in the same
ball of wax.

Interestingly, one site has bounced this thread based on the occurance of
.[somethingelse] in the text.  The biggest problem I have with content
filters is that they really need to be smarter, or there needs to be more
care in their setup.  If there was a new way to sneak .[somethingelse]
through a filter, at least one company wouldn't ever get notifified of it.

I really prefer the "quarentine and let the user come get it" approach for
keyword filtering- with an admin option to make the quarentine off-limits
based on a high percentage of quarentines over time, or other criteria.

Paul