Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Re: Anybody Recognize These Uploads?

From: Mike Hoskins <mike () adept org>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 13:56:30 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
I guess that Mike's posting struck a nerve - it just seems too
simplistic to say "lazy admins have caused the broken internet"
that really trivializes a gigantic problem. And when you do that,
it gets easier to try to come down like a ton of bricks on the
one facet that you identify as "causing" the problem, and ignore
all the others.

Indeed.  I did not intend to imply admins are the only problem.  That was
just an outburst tempered with frustration based upon daily existence.  ;)

It was also primarily an attempt to take what seemd to be turning into a
political (country boundary) debate and give it a technical focus.  That
is, I don't care if you're blackholing "Country A",  "Provider A" or
"Network A" to "stop abuse" it's likely the wrong thing to do (especially
long-term) and I'd group you in the "bad admin" category if you're not at
least actively seeking alternatives.  This is because I feel the Internet
was built upon the idea of open communication.  Yes this is ideal, and
there are workarounds which must exist in a non-ideal world...  But I feel
it is the "good" admin's job to work toward this ideal whenever possible.

I acknolwedge the other problems you identified, and numerous others (as
does any sane individual).  I did not intend to make these issues less
important, and apologize for over generalizing the issue.

I hope that these statements are some that we can mostly agree with, as I
do not view them as overly controversial or ground-breaking.  :)

--
Mike Hoskins            This message is RFC 1855 compliant,
mike () adept org               www.adept.org/pub/rfcs/rfc1855.html