Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: RE: present day admin skills

From: Ryan Russell <ryan () securityfocus com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 11:27:59 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, Darren Reed wrote:

So his parents haven't been sending him to school.  It would appear to be
a case of forsaking a regular education for one which earns money, yes ?
The article never went into much detail about the conflict between the
person being a high school student and having 3 years of work experience
since they were 13.  If you're at school for the normal hours of a week,
there isn't much room left for doing a 40hr week (or at least not if you
want to stay healthy).  Either that or the CISSP people aren't too strict
on what "3 years experience" means.  To me it means working a 40 hr week,
9-5, for 3 years (modulo holidays, etc).

Sounds like that is maybe a loophole in the requirements.  I was working
maintaining a line printer and running backups for a local software
company when I was 14 (under the table, you can't work until 15 1/2 for
normal jobs in the US), and as a software tester from 15 until about 17.
Had those been "security" jobs instead, I would have qualified by only
working 10-20 hours a week.  Or consider the kid who gets himself the
occasional pen-test gig over a period of three years (leave alone the
question of whether it's a good idea... it happens on occasion.)  They may
put in far fewer hours, but may qualify.

Perhaps the requirements need to be spelled out more?  (I haven't looked
at them in a while.)

                                        Ryan