Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Cisco Pix Firewall Help

From: Carric Dooley <carric () com2usa com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 21:07:01 -0500 (EST)

The translation of the FAQ you posted says "either the host must resolve
to the private address internally or the NAT'd address can't be on the
network between the firewall and your internet router". That is why I
proposed the scenarios I did. They met the requirements of either using
the internal address or getting the address off the network between the
firewall and router. Not to say there aren't other ways, but that was a
couple of ideas I had right away.

I would not give up on coaxing mahogany row to setup a DMZ. It's not an
"if" it's a "when" for the public shame fest to come your way (are you
running IDS?? It may have already happened). <understatement>Just because
they haven't been hacked yet, really doesn't meant it won't
happen</understatement>. The average time it takes for a host to get
scanned when it goes live on the Internet is about 24 hours according the
the Honeynet project guys (Go Lance and company!). You need to ask them
how much someone owning all their data would cost vs. adding another
interface to the PIX. Play "Follow the $$" game with them a little. Do
they pay for insurance? Why?

I would STRONGLY encourage you to fix the problem instead patching an
annoying symptom. If this web server is IIS, you ar REALLY asking for
trouble ("guard your grill, cause the punch in the nose is coming" as a
friend of mine says), and regardless of the attitude of management towards
a <sarcasm>costly</sarcasm> DMZ right now, when the time comes for the
explanation of who's fault it was that the server was comprimised, guess
who's gonna to swing? You will join the ranks with Lt. Cally and Ollie
North.

I am sure you know all this. I just hate the injustice of seeing someone
lower on the totem taking it in the shorts because the board does not
understand the technical issues. They hired you for that, and they need to
learn to trust you before something not-so-nice happens and causes all
their shares to tank. There's enough data available to prove your case.