Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: RE: present day admin skills

From: Frederick M Avolio <fred () avolio com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 09:56:15 -0500

At 06:54 PM 1/10/02 +1100, Darren Reed wrote:
I think until you've had to deal with users', any claim of system
administration skills must remain suspect, no matter how many systems
of your own you have at home to hack on.

And until you have to get involved in real problem solving, too, I'd say. I'm not talking about running automated diagnostics, though they have their use in automating repetitive tasks. I mean simply the skills to zero in on a problem system or program through analysis and an intelligent process of elimination.

*** Reminiscence follows -- you may safely ignore the rest. :-) ***

I remember years ago when a system administrator in my spare time for a large computer vendor. We had a UUCP hookup to the world and it wasn't working. The "assistant" spare time administrator did not have any idea what steps to go through to decide -- was it a telephone problem? Was it a serial cable problem? Was it a problem with the DH-11? Was it a problem on the other computer? Etc. Have things improved? Too many people going through university without learning basic problem solving skills? (I can just look for the "cheats, hints, and walk-throughs" on the Internet.) Or am I just in "old codger" mode?

Fred
Avolio Consulting, Inc.
16228 Frederick Road, PO Box 609, Lisbon, MD 21765, US
+1 410-309-6910 (voice) +1 410-309-6911 (fax)
http://www.avolio.com/