Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Castles and Security (fwd)

From: Lance Spitzner <lance () spitzner net>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 16:08:05 -0600 (CST)

Marcus,

I like your guerilla warfare analogy.  The reason I posted my
"Castle/Security" email is I was interested to see how people would
shoot holes in it.  Yours was excellent.  I feel that in general, the
blackhat community does use guerilla tactics.  Find an easy kill,
move swiftly, and disappear.  I'm going to have to play with this one
some more.

However, I still feel castles make an excellent analogy when you want to
demonstrate how defense in depth can be applied.  Many organizations feel
that by throwing up a firewall they are secure.  Castles use defense
at every layer, networks should follow a simillar concept.

Right now, we're working in an environment where it's nearly impossible to tell
a "good guy" from a "bad guy".  In fact, a bad guy could probably mount a
credible defense for a while by merely claiming to be a good guy. That's not
possible if the target definition is a bit crisper.

I've noticed more hacked websites have posts where the badguys say they
just modified the index.html page to prove a point.  An attempt to legitimize
their actions.  Just check out the hacked sites on attrition.org,
makes for an interesting read.

lance