Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Castles and Security (fwd)

From: Jürgen Nieveler <Juergen.Nieveler () arxes de>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 17:39:35 +0100

I recently answered an extremely interesting question concerning
the comparison of castles to network security.  Below is
the email, I'm interested in any feedback.

Just my 0.02 EUR:

The problem with this comparison is that unlike the defenders of castles and
fortresses, firewall admins aren't allowed to use heavy artillery :-)

As a firewall admin, all you can do is watch the hackers attack your
network, and if they find a whole you can fix it.

Oh, and while we're on the topic of "undefeatable fortresses": The belgian
government believed that making a mountain into a gun-armed fortress with
lots of bunkers, howitzers etc. would really be undefeatable even back in
the 1930s and up to WW2. They had layered defenses, machine gun pillboxes
etc, so that it was impossible to go anywhere near that fortress without
being seen and shot at (whith values of "near" measured in km).

Then WW2 came, and the fortress had to surrender in a few hours to an
attacking force of only 72 men who landed ON TOP of the fortress and blew up
the guns one by one. More info on Fort Eben-Emael can be found here:
http://www.fort-eben-emael.be/

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Yours sincerely

Juergen Nieveler
EncreasE AG
UB eCommerce
Tel.: +49/241/16008-327
Fax:  +49/241/16008-354
Email: juergen.nieveler () arxes de
Web: www.encrease.de
PGP:
2AAB A988 0B80 D53F FC53  3BED 8CC0 2092 922D 8378 (DH)
5ADF A15E 91E4 98DB  2391 0D29 8B08 A884 (RSA)
Disclaimer: Views are mine, not my employers´