Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Castles and Security (fwd)

From: "Security Related" <b_c_w_g () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 11:04:14 -0600

..."In terms of analogy, though, I see the security space as closer to a pure terrorist/counterterrorist play than a castle defense."...

mjr.
***
I agree, I have always thought of it as guerrilla warfare as if it were waged by revolutionaries...where the 'hostile attackers' have the ability to jump out of the terrain that is thier home and strike, and unless you are fast and skilled, dissapear again into the foliage without a trace. You don't know where they will attack, or when, or sometimes why (sometimes they are confused as to thier own motives too, or lost in circular 'logic' with no real meaning). 'They' are creative in what tools they employ, with a healthy mix of the latest sophisticated weapons, and home built tools. Mostly they have the advantage of time, in that they can plan and strategize thier attack at length, while you (as defenders) must react to thier attack in a very small time frame.

All we can do is spend our time checking that all our troops know thier roles and are skilled in them, listen to the local rumor mill and try to get a little advanced notice of impending strikes, and try to second guess our enemy's methodology before it happens. And of course have a backup plan in case we still get overrun despite our best efforts. ;)

ES