Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Castles and Security (fwd)

From: Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 10:50:34 +1100 (EST)

In some email I received from Lance Spitzner, sie wrote:
[...]
However, I still feel castles make an excellent analogy when you want to
demonstrate how defense in depth can be applied.  Many organizations feel
that by throwing up a firewall they are secure.  Castles use defense
at every layer, networks should follow a simillar concept.
[...]

Why just networks and castles ?

What this really boils down to is that your logical security mechanisms
(network, etc) need to be at least as strong as the physical measures you
put in place (megnetic locks on doors, etc).  If only the President of
Acme Inc. can get into his office then only the President of Acme Inc.
should be able to use the computer on his desk, etc, regardless of whether
or not it is networked.

Darren