Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Newspaper Article about Cable Modem security

From: Joseph S D Yao <jsdy () cospo osis gov>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 16:44:13 -0500 (EST)

I don't want to be arguing both sides of this.  But I don't think I am.

On the one hand, I don't feel that the ISP should provide "one-size-
fits-all" security for everyone using said ISP.  Too much like AOL etc.
I've already said this.

On the other hand, I am NOT one of those people who believes that all
people should be FORCED to learn about networking and network security.
Sure, it would be ideal if they all did.  And they should also all go
out and take Advanced First Aid or Emergency Response / Emergency
Medical Technician courses every three years, and CPR every year.  And
they should be able to disassemble and re-assemble their automobiles.
But the fact is that most people will continue to be consumers for
these services.  I believe that the best service will be to try to make
them EDUCATED consumers.

Eh?  ;-)

While I'm mentioning things that people SHOULD know how to do: survival
camping, map reading, finding directions from the stars and sun,
navigation, astrogation, using weapons, peace-keeping, administering
home Unix systems, child-rearing, diaper-changing, flying, boating,
hiking, understanding, loving, ...

--
Joe Yao                         jsdy () cospo osis gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
COSPO/OSIS Computer Support                                     EMT-B