Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Newspaper Article about Cable Modem security

From: Michael Cassidy <cassidy () panix com>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 09:57:22 -0500

At 12:50 PM -0700 11/1/99, Wozz wrote:
On Mon, Nov 01, 1999 at 07:57:46AM +0100, Rodney van den Oever wrote:
While many may believe it should be the ISP's responsibility to protect
users from
themselves, I disagree. I *do* think that all ISPs (dialup or otherwise)
have a responsibility to >provide some basic information about things users
can do to protect themselves. Simple >things like not running any
unnecessary services, disabling (or taking steps to secure) File >Sharing,
and definately not running programs from untrusted sources.

Possible new market here:

1. Cable modems incorporating filters. This modem could be managed by the
ISP (of course this has its disadvantages, not very secure, managed service
too expensive).

The DOCSIS cable modem specifications have IP filters incorporated, its
only a matter of time before most all systems are upgraded to DOCSIS.

whats a trusted source?
how do you know the source wasnt spoofed?
and some of us actually use email and attachments in our work: sending
files back and forth.
dangerous sure but speed can be important

BTW "script kiddies" arent gonna crack the military or banks nor would any
do a slow scan of anything but a porn magazine. if someone is doing a slow
scan there is a good chance they are not "script kiddies" but real nasties.

regards