Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Newspaper Article about Cable Modem security

From: Robert Graham <robert_david_graham () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 14:37:31 -0800 (PST)

--- Steven Osman <sosman () terratron com> wrote:
Your statement is assuming that a hacker will use his designated IP address
to perform the hacking.  That's like saying "well, if we get hacked over a
dialup connection, we'll just trace the call and then there is no question
about who to blame!"

I think cable-modems and DSL lines are becoming THE prefered way that hackers
cover their tracks. Home users are not likely to detect any attempts against
them, so script-kiddies are first compromising these systems, then using them
to attack companies/military.. I've seen several times where people backtrack
an attack to a cable-modem/DSL user, and find a compromised machine.

For example, somebody has been attempting a slow scan of our network for about
2 months now. The source is a PacBell DSL line. Now, if I were a hacker, I
wouldn't use my own DSL connection, because it can cost lots of $$$ when I get
booted off. I can only assume that somebody compromised a home machine, and is
using that machine to carry out their attack.

Rob.

=====
Robert Graham
"Anxiously awaiting the millenium so I can start programming
dates with 2-digits again."