Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Newspaper Article about Cable Modem security

From: sean.kelly () lanston com
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 12:47:07 -0500

From: Robert Graham [mailto:robert_david_graham () yahoo com]

I think cable-modems and DSL lines are becoming THE prefered
way that hackers
cover their tracks. Home users are not likely to detect any
attempts against
them, so script-kiddies are first compromising these systems,
then using them
to attack companies/military.. I've seen several times where
people backtrack
an attack to a cable-modem/DSL user, and find a compromised machine.

Any moderately careful hacker will take these steps.  It's certainly
possible, though I would think that installing and running the software on
the hacked computer (if it's a Win98 box) might still be a bit tough.

I think there are probably also an equal or greater number of kids on their
parents' connection screwing around who either don't know that what they are
doing is wrong or they don't care.  I have a friend with a domain that has a
chatserver on it.  One day, some kids logged on and started threatening us
and actually started attacking his machine while they were logged on to the
chat.  When they logged off they began a portscan of my machine as well.  I
have had people attempt attacks just because they saw my IP on IRC or some
other forum (which I watched in real-time and had traced back to them in a
matter of seconds).

Sean