Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Newspaper Article about Cable Modem security

From: "Rodney van den Oever" <roever () nse simac nl>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 07:57:46 +0100

While many may believe it should be the ISP's responsibility to protect
users from
themselves, I disagree. I *do* think that all ISPs (dialup or otherwise)
have a responsibility to >provide some basic information about things users
can do to protect themselves. Simple >things like not running any
unnecessary services, disabling (or taking steps to secure) File >Sharing,
and definately not running programs from untrusted sources.

Possible new market here:

1. Cable modems incorporating filters. This modem could be managed by the
ISP (of course this has its disadvantages, not very secure, managed service
too expensive).
2. Affordable small firewall-boxes offered by the ISP as a sort of
plus-package for use between PC's and cable modem. ISP provides basic
instructions, the user himself sets it up. Procedure needed to reset the box
in case the user fouls up.

--
Rodney van den Oever / +31 6 55868577 / PGP Key ID 0x0A6CCE53
'Windows leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to the dark side'