Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: The Future of Security

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 23:30:33 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 3 Dec 1999, Scott, Richard wrote:

      --  Gary wrote:
      >..<snip>...
      >Now before anyone lights the flame throwers, I think it fair to say
that
      >there has been a lot of poor quality work done in the past, and the
      >complaints come from everywhere you look.  It is not focused on one
industry
      >segment, or about one firm doing the dirty deed etc.  The problem
is that
      >when mediocre work is performed at the fortune 500 level, the
trickle down
      >effect is that we all get a black eye.  So that is why I think that
the
      >market will force so called experts to do a better job.
      >...<snip>...

        I'm interested here about where you say "complaints come from
everywhere
      you look."
        From "inside" (e.g: this mailing list, the Usenix Security
conference,
      etc. - where the techies are found) - the perspective is that the
"poor
      quality" comes from things like the InfoSec division of a brand name
big
      accounting firm sending out an intern with a laptop loaded with ISS
(or
      some other security scanner) to do an audit of a client.  The
network
      and system administrators at the client see this and are chuckling
      over their coffee or Mt. Dews about the yoo-yoo sent out to do the
audit.
      This is the *stereotype* of poor quality from the techie viewpoint.
        Do you think management - whose eyes glaze over when the techies
walk
      into the room - also think there is rampant poor quality in the
Computer
      Security racket ?  What drives their perceptions ?

        Yours in asking for hundreds of dollars per hour without blinking,

        - Randy
       -

      I would like to add to this thread.  I think companies budget for
what they know, and many huge companies do in fact ignore security.  After
all, why not, a web defacement here, and a defacement there, after a few
days the site is back up.  Since e-commerce is such an infancy in terms of
market development and revenue, senior management will not consider it a
money decider.  Now if we switched the roles, make e-commerce a huge market,
where the annual turn over is billions and billions of pounds.  An outage of
a day due to a web defacement may turn heads.  Lost revenues, loss in
consumer confidence and more.  What I would like to see is a report on
current web defacement, their impact on the sites customers, whether they
refuse to go to the site again because it was insecure, or whether they use
the site again, believe that the site is now secure. Also how much revenue
was lost, or more so, how much of a market share did a site lose from the
outage.  Did customer information get downloaded, what did the clients
think?

      Does anyone have any statistics on this?

These local stories suggest that e-commerce, tough, admittidly in it's
infancy, is already a bigger business realm then then your estimating:

http://www.startribune.com/stOnLine/cgi-bin/article?thisSlug=HUT03&date=03-Dec-1999&word=commerce&word=e

Analysts have predicted that holiday sales over the Internet will
at least double to $6 billion this year.  Forrester Research of
Boston estimates that $4 billion of that total will occur between
Thanksgiving and Christmas, and traffic was indeed heavy last
weekend. According to Nielsen NetRatings,
4.6 million home surfers flooded e-commerce sites on Sunday
of Thanksgiving weekend, a 30 percent increase over the
preceding Wednesday.

http://www.startribune.com/stOnLine/cgi-bin/article?thisSlug=B2B06&date=06-Dec-1999&word=commerce&word=e

International Data Corp., a Massachusetts-based research firm,
said buying online could save businesses up to $103 billion by
2003. Forrester Research projects the B2B e-commerce
market will grow to about $1.3 trillion by 2003, up from $43
billion in 1998 and exceeding business-to-consumer commerce
by nine-to-one.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
--
        admin & senior consultant:  darkstar.sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!