Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: The Future of Security

From: Don Helms <dhelms () sw org>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 16:54:58 -0600

  But hey, if we can do a key exchange from our automobile to the
stove in our kitchen, then I won't have to be saying "Yes dear, I'm
sure the stove is turned off - trust me about this."

Yes, but as we've seen in the medical arena, you can toast a guy
if you have access.  I've seen actual medical equipment designed
by the manufacture to network with zero security---on purpose.
We did implement it at the physical level, by the way.

So, if you network your toaster, you may be able to tell if it's
turned off.  But what about someone else turning it on?  If I don't
firewall my toaster some yahoo will hack in and burn my house down?

To many times, it's the simple stuff that folks forget to lock down.

-Don

Don Helms
Scott & White Hospital
dhelms () sw org