Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: The Future of Security

From: Damir Rajnovic <drajnovi () cisco com>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 08:08:04 +0000

Hello there,

At 10:59 06/12/1999 -0800, David LeBlanc wrote:
So, I expect the processing power of these Java-enabled gizmos to be as
small as possible, which also tells me that the IP stack isn't going to be
sophisticated, and experience tells me that means they are probably prone
to DoS attacks.  Next, we're talking about basing the security of these
devices on some sort of ACL, yet they are supposed to 'discover' one
another.  Discovery implies 2 things - one is that they will be chatty, and
the other is that they will respond to requests for at least a minimal

See http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~fms27/duckling/ This paper addresses some
of your questions.

The Resurrecting Duckling:
Security Issues for Ad-hoc Wireless Networks

Frank Stajano and Ross Anderson

In the near future, many personal electronic devices will be
able to communicate with each other over a short range wireless
channel. We investigate the principal security issues for such
an environment. Our discussion is based on the concrete example of
a thermometer that makes its readings available to other nodes over
the air. Some lessons learned from this example appear to be quite
general to ad-hoc networks, and rather different from what we have
come to expect in more conventional systems: denial of service, the
goals of authentication, and the problems of naming all need re-examination. We present the resurrecting duckling
security policy model, which
describes secure transient association of a device with multiple
serialised owners.

Cheers,

Gaus
Damir Rajnovic <drajnovi () cisco com>    Cisco PSIRT Manager
Team URL: <http://www-tac.cisco.com/Teams/PSIRT/>
Phone: +44 20 8756 9731      Mobile: +44 7715 546 033
4 The Square, Stockley Park, Uxbridge, MIDDLESEX UB11 1BN, GB
There is no insolvable problems. Question remanins: can you
acceppt the solution?