Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Y2K rollover Vigilance

From: "Brad MacQuarrie" <Brad_MacQuarrie () maritimelife ca>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 11:23:50 -0400

I would like to get the wizards' take on what people are doing with respect
to staying connected and functional on the Internet during the rollover to
the year 2000.  Do most organizations seem to be leaning towards reduced
exposure (i.e. shutting down incoming SMTP, restricting download cpability,
etc.), total blackout, or business as usual.

I have been making the case for the former with a heightened state of
monitoring the A/V and systems vulnerability watchdogs of the world (NAI,
Symantec, Trend, CERT, etc) for action to take upon re-instating full
connection to the Internet.  My senior management was pulling for a total
disconnection before the public perception issues started to hit home like
"Wow those guys are totaly off the air.  They must have gotten slammed!"

Thanks in advance.

Brad MacQuarrie