Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: The Future of Security

From: David LeBlanc <dleblanc () mindspring com>
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 1999 13:56:03 -0800

At 04:54 PM 12/2/99 -0600, Don Helms wrote:

Yes, but as we've seen in the medical arena, you can toast a guy
if you have access.  I've seen actual medical equipment designed
by the manufacture to network with zero security---on purpose.
We did implement it at the physical level, by the way.

So, if you network your toaster, you may be able to tell if it's
turned off.  But what about someone else turning it on?  If I don't
firewall my toaster some yahoo will hack in and burn my house down?

To many times, it's the simple stuff that folks forget to lock down.

Having seen the ISS Scanner shut down a cookie factory for a whole shift
($50k worth of cookies...) using ICMP redirects, I can relate to this - I
can see it now - come home to find my fridge defrosting because some nitwit
gave it a crappy IP stack...  Then what bothers me even more is that these
Java-based gizmos want to work across my house wiring.  So once I get all
my appliances running that, now I need a firewall for my exterior
electrical sockets or some kid will plug a gizmo into the outside of my
house and have the kitchen looking like Mickey and the brooms in the
Sorcerer's Apprentice...

David LeBlanc
dleblanc () mindspring com