Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: The Future of Security

From: David LeBlanc <dleblanc () mindspring com>
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 1999 13:50:19 -0800

At 05:07 PM 12/2/99 -0600, Rick Smith wrote:
At 08:01 AM 11/30/1999 -0800, Mark Veronda wrote:
Firewall Wizards -
I am interested to know where the experts see the security industry move
towards during the next 1-5 years.

Some opinions mixed with predictions:

1. People tend to become complacent, and that works against security. It's
wiser to expect people to behave the way they do than to set unrealistic
expectations and try to achieve them through preaching (oops, I mean
"security awareness training").

Great list, and interesting food for thought.  I did want to comment on
this one point - people are motivated by fear of having their work or
property destroyed.  It is highly unusual to see houses without at least
deadbolts in most areas, except the most rural, and in urban areas we see
bars over windows and sophisticated alarms.  Right now, people run around
on the internet with their front door unlocked, which is something I think
will change.  Although I largely agree with your point, I think that we
will see some level of behavior modification as people come to realize the
threats they face.

David LeBlanc
dleblanc () mindspring com