Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Network Traffic Violations

From: Ted Doty <ted () iss net>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 18:04:49 -0400

At 12:01 PM 9/11/98 -0500, Rick Smith wrote:

[snip]

So, if Windows sharing uses LAN broadcast, then the LAN broadcast won't be
relayed unless the cable modem is really bone headed (not impossible, of
course). Since the local workstation can not find out its address on the
Internet, it can't fashion packets to automatically talk to other cable
modems in its "neighborhood" without some sort of broadcast.

So, does anyone remember how the reported problem worked? How does this
situation compare to it?

I'm afraid I can't remember the details, either, however:

1. I wouldn't count on the cable companies to implement any security
mechanisms correctly.  A rather dated document at catv.org described Media
One's "solution" - filter out the computer name, but not block access to
the share.  The report concluded:

        "Obviously, MediaOne officials have not spent enough quality time
         discussing this problem. Not only should cable operators forbid
         the use of file-sharing, but explore ways to permanently disable
         the option from Windows95 during cable modem installations. The
         issue with file-sharing is dangerous to the provider [liability],
         the subscriber and the industry."

        [6/9/97, www.catv.org/bbb-report/1997/arch-607.html]

Sounds like they're just blocking NetBios Name Table queries with router
access lists. If they bothered to turn it on.

2. If you have IP services enabled (duh - it's an ISP connection) then
someone could connect to port 139.  You would have to do more than just
double click on Network Neighborhood, but not much:

        ping (your subnet - get the address from your DHCP)
        C:\> NET VIEW \\(IP address you found)

I haven't checked this out personally, tho.  Anyone have a cable modem at home?

- Ted

Ted Doty, Internet Security Systems          | Phone: +1 678 443-6000
6600 Peachtree Dunwoody Road, 300 Embassy Row | Fax:   +1 678 443-6479
Atlanta, GA 30328  USA                       | Web: http://www.iss.net
PGP key fingerprint: 362A EAC7 9E08 1689  FD0F E625 D525 E1BE