Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Network Traffic Violations

From: Bill_Royds () pch gc ca
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 11:35:40 -0400

If these cable modems catch on, then it will pose a problem for inflexible
and excessively clever apps. After a holiday weekend of experience with
this modem, I suspect it's going to put a huge dent in the telephone modem
business.

   I live In Ottawa Canada. There was a 2 full page ad by local cable
supplier in this mornings paper for @home Cable modems for C$39.95 (~
US$25) month.

At this price, how are telephone ISP's to survive?
They use a long term DHCP (30 day lease)  so there will be a whole need for
 security and application support for this kind of user.

It also means home applications become complete new ballgames with respect
to client and server functionality. Speed is 3.4 MBS down, 1.2 up