Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Network Traffic Violations

From: Rick Smith <rick_smith () securecomputing com>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 1998 11:25:04 -0500

Regarding apps that look at local IP addresses:

Have had asimilar experience. One of the banks in this country decided to
provide an internet client so users could do banking from home. Only
problem was that the IP of the machine was used in the "encryption" scheme
somewhere and this made the software absolutely useless from behind any
"firewall" providing NAT. The bank refused to change their software so we
had lots of unhappy clients who couldn't get to their bank.

The cable modems used by MediaOne in our area use NAT ("SurfBoards" by
General Instrument). The client never sees the remote IP address, which is
dynamically allocated and managed by the cable company's server.

If these cable modems catch on, then it will pose a problem for inflexible
and excessively clever apps. After a holiday weekend of experience with
this modem, I suspect it's going to put a huge dent in the telephone modem
business.

Rick.
smith () securecomputing com