Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: [Ext] Re: [SECURITY] Access to Porn sites?

From: "Cooper, Micah J" <micahcooper () CEDARVILLE EDU>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2019 07:43:38 -0400

As a Baptist university, we have always blocked porn sites. I’ve seen
reports both ways that it is a conduit for malware, but anything that
engages users for long period at a level that can make them “turn off”
higher reasoning centers (gambling, porn, the endless dopamine drip that is
youtube) and click for the next thing is an obvious vehicle. When you talk
to Splunk and other vendors, though, they’ll tell you about numerous
corporations blocking/monitoring porn sites for sexual harassment
compliance. In a past life at a public institution, I helped an
investigation after a female faculty member complained about another
faculty member’s browing habits with the door open, screen facing the hall.

It’s easy to provide exemptions for research. Otherwise, it’s just clogging
your pipes with risk.

Micah Cooper

*Associate Vice President for Technology & Chief Information Officer*
Information Technology
*Cedarville University*
o: 937-766-7905
cedarville.edu
<https://twitter.com/cedarvilleit>
<https://www.youtube.com/user/cedarvilleu>

On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 11:10 PM Barton, Robert W. <bartonrt () lewisu edu>