Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Secure communication of passwords

From: "Jones, Mark B" <Mark.B.Jones () UTH TMC EDU>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 04:15:12 +0000

We are planning to implement a mechanism where users can supply a personal
email address when they apply, get hired, etc.  that would then be
considered an 'address of record'.  We would then send one-time-use,
time-limited links to the users that could be used to set initial password
or to reset passwords.  Our goal is for this mechanism to conform to the
credential issuance procedures described in NIST SP 800-63
<http://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/SpecialPublications/NIST.SP.800-63-2.pdf>
for LOA 2 credentials.

"If personal information in records includes a telephone number or e-mail
address, the CSP issues credentials in a manner that confirms the ability of
the Applicant to receive telephone communications or text message at phone
number or e-mail address associated with the Applicant in records. Any
secret sent over an unprotected session shall be reset upon first use and
shall be valid for a maximum lifetime of seven days"