Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Secure communication of passwords

From: "Joel L. Rosenblatt" <joel () COLUMBIA EDU>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 17:16:39 -0500

We wrote a web based application for this specific purpose (CUPET -
Columbia University Password Exchange Tool)
The user logs into the web page using their UNI and password, the secure
information is displayed - when the acknowledge (click) that they have the
password/information, the information is erased from the system - there is
a log kept of the transaction (time, date, IP address) so we can verify the
transaction if needed.

Joel

Joel Rosenblatt, Director Network & Computer Security
Columbia Information Security Office (CISO)
Columbia University, 612 W 115th Street, NY, NY 10025 / 212 854 3033
http://www.columbia.edu/~joel
Public PGP key
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x90BD740BCC7326C3