Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Passphrases v Password

From: Mike Osterman <ostermmg () WHITMAN EDU>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 13:43:17 -0700

On Jul 5, 2013, at 1:05 PM, Rich Graves <rgraves () CARLETON EDU> wrote:

"Will Froning" <will.froning () gmail com> said:

tiqr.org and https://www.toopher.com/  [and YubiKeys]

We use DuoSecurity, not nearly free, but not bad (and internet2.edu has a volume deal). The "push" callback for
Android and iPhone is terrific, as is the integration with various systems.

To continue with this tangent, I agree that multi-factor is where we should all be looking, though it does feel like
institutional options, apart from vendors like Duo, are still pretty slim. The price is reasonable, but many of us may
not be able to make the budget justification quickly enough. That's why I'm excited about this project:

http://opentwofactor.org

Note: I haven't tried it yet, and it's just getting started, but it does get us closer to a full open source two-factor
stack. Hoping to carve out some time to set up a test instance in the near future.

-Mike