Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Passphrases v Password

From: "SCHALIP, MICHAEL" <mschalip () CNM EDU>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 13:06:49 -0600

We *have* a 15 character requirement - for both students and employees - for the past 4-5 years, and they are just now
considering rolling the students back to 8 characters.  The impact related to Service Desk calls for password resets
has been off the charts, so we're hoping that backing this off will help a little bit.

But -we also need a better "self-service utility" to help with password resets.  We're currently using the "built-in"
utility that's in Banner's Luminus 4 product - it works, but not well - and we'd like to use a password reset utility
that offers the user "options", (ie, secret questions, secondary e-mail with link, texting, etc.)  Anyone using a
utility that they are just crazy about??  Please share....

Thanks,

Michael