Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Passphrases v Password

From: Steven Alexander <alexander.s () MCCD EDU>
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2013 00:04:13 +0000

Real-world attackers do crack passwords.  For instance, the South Carolina Department of Revenue in late 2012.  In that
incident, the attackers probably got their initial access via a phishing attack but used password cracking to gain
access to additional systems.  Mandiant did a report on the incident:

http://docs.ismgcorp.com/files/external/MANDIANT_Public_IR_Report_Dept_of_Revenue_11202012.pdf

There have also been some high-profile incidents involving hashes stolen from websites (e.g. LinkedIn).  There is
little point in stealing hashes if you don't intend to crack them.

In general, attackers will do what works.

I agree with moving toward two-factor authentication.  In many cases, e.g. any Windows system, it's too difficult to
get users to pick passwords that are not practically crackable.

Steven