Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Passphrases v Password

From: Tim Doty <tdoty () MST EDU>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2013 09:02:00 -0500

On 07/08/2013 08:58 AM, randy wrote:
Brad Tilley from my office developed a password generator tool that is
pretty effective and easy to use. It's at http://16s.us/sha1_pass/.
Basically, you supply it a phrase/sentence and it generates a number of
password strings (base64, SHA-1, hex, etc.) that you can cut and paste into
the login page.

Right, but that does absolutely nothing for initial login to a system, and therein lies the problem. Some sort of password manager is "the solution", but the initial login to a system remains a problem. I can't copy and paste until I've logged in...

There are other ways to approach that (for example, you can use a Yubikey to store an impossible to remember, ridiculously long and complex password/phrase, or employ smart cards, whatever) but all have their faults. Its not an easy problem.

Tim Doty

-Randy Marchany
VA Tech IT Security Office and Lab.