Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Passphrases v Password

From: Steven Alexander <alexander.s () MCCD EDU>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 14:37:46 +0000

" How real it is depends on the format of your password hashes and how simple access is to that hash store."

For web applications, the password store is generally just a SQL injection exploit away.  For internal systems, access
to the store probably depends on having admin rights so it could be difficult to access.  One of the reasons hashes are
valuable, however, is that attackers who gain admin rights can use cracked hashes to preserve access and/or to gain
access to other systems.  The risk doesn't go away just because the hashes aren't useful for gaining initial access.

You often do not have much control over the password hash used.  Most Unix/Linux systems support bcrypt, but you can't
change the hash on Windows and it uses MD4 (which is an awful choice).  Many web apps use MD5 or SHA-1 (which are not
really any better than MD4 for password hashing).  If you're writing a new app, it would be easy to just use bcrypt,
scrypt or PBKDF2.  If you've already deployed an app using MD5, it may be difficult to change.

Steven Alexander Jr.
Online Education Systems Manager
Merced College