Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Compromised Accounts Procedures

From: "Schoenefeld, Keith P." <Keith_Schoenefeld () BAYLOR EDU>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 04:00:13 +0000

The real answer is "It depends on the level of access the compromised account has with regard to sensitive
information", but for the most general case I'd add:

- Check to ensure the 'password reset questions' weren't modified by the hacker (we've seen this)
- Ensure any forwards and/or other filter modifications put in place by the hacker are removed (deliver and forward
rules allow the hacker to reset passwords for remote sites linked to the local user's university email account)
- Restore email messages that were deleted by the hacker.

-- KS

Keith Schoenefeld
Information Security Analyst
Baylor University