Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 and DHCP

From: Rich Graves <rgraves () CARLETON EDU>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 14:03:37 -0500

I think what Randy was talking about was statically defined DUIDs.

For the medium term, I'm thinking of going with SLAAC, and relying on the IPv4 side of the dual-stack host to supply
DNS and such. I'd think that only IPv6-only hosts would really need DHCPv6 or rfc6106.

I'm certainly not worried about "losing" DHCP logs or option-82 information. Any infrastructure that supports option-82
can give *better* information with some combination of port security traps, DHCP snooping, bridge tables, ARP/NDP, etc.

(For the short term, we're head firmly in sand, blocking v6.)