Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Compromised Accounts Procedures

From: Matthew Hodgett <m.hodgett () QUT EDU AU>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 16:09:32 +1000

We have had a process in place for a while now. Basically, the steps are;
. lock out the account and inform the helpdesk to expect a call
. when the user calls the helpdesk an incident is logged
. both the incident and the user are passed to the ITsec team
. the user is interviewed. This is an opportunity for understanding how the account was compromised, profiling the
users, as well as raising the users security awareness
. the incident and user are then passed to a team that has the ability to unlock accounts and change passwords

From this process we gather stats and this has helped develop detection methods and focus awareness campaigns.

Matthew