Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 and DHCP

From: "Curtis, Bruce" <Bruce.Curtis () NDSU EDU>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 15:16:12 -0700

On May 10, 2012, at 2:29 PM, Martin Manjak wrote:

If you're running IPv6, and you've tested, or deployed, DHCP tools, we
are interested in what you may have discovered.

Our staff were using the following as a starting place for looking into
this issue: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address_management

Granted, we could have a debate about whether it makes sense to manage
an addressing protocol designed to be self-administering. But I think we
have to first determine whether or not it's feasible.

So any experience with the products on the wikipedia page, or anything
else, would be greatly appreciated.

  In the anything else category would be that Macintoshes did not have an IPv6 DHCP client until Lion Mac OS X 7.  So
if you have some older Macs on the network they will still need to use SLAAC.

  Even with DHCPv6 on a subnet some clients may still use IPv6 Privacy addresses for outgoing connections.

Marty

Martin Manjak
CISSP, GIAC GSEC-G
Information Security Officer
University at Albany
MSC 209 518/437-3813

The University at Albany will never ask you to reveal your password.
Please ignore all such requests.

---
Bruce Curtis                         bruce.curtis () ndsu edu
Certified NetAnalyst II                701-231-8527
North Dakota State University