Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: DMCA Infringement Handling

From: Adrian Teo <adrian.teo () ASU EDU>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 15:53:50 -0700

Agreed.

I built a small homegrown script to help us automate DMCA Infringement
handling. Out of this I learned a lot, and this is just by looking the DMCA
reporting/notice system used by the copyright enforcers.

1. We get a ton of false positives. This includes mismatched IP/timestamps
etc.
2. As Matt mentioned, a ton of the DMCA notices are for IP¹s outside our
networks (i.e. Not even from our university network!!)
3. DMCA complaints have to be worded a certain way for them to be legally
binding. Some ³smart² enforcers have changed the wording of the complaint
and that raises red flags making the notices invalid.
4. The enforcers seem to gravitate to the established ACNS XML standard for
their complaint. We use this to automate our handling but several companies
have arbitrarily defined their own modifications to their standard ­ which
gives us a ton of headaches since they change them willy-nilly.

I found that valid notices only account for less than 13% of the total
notices that we receive daily. We had since implemented network filters to
eliminate (almost 100%) all P2P traffic and the complaints have gone down
significantly, but this has not changed the percentage of invalid
complaints.

Anyway, I hope that sharing this helps out by giving some insight to the
DMCA complaint systems.

Regards

-AT

--
Adrian W Teo       e: adrian.teo () asu edu      p: 480.452.8165
Information Security Architect