Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: DMCA Infringement Handling

From: "Arthur, Matt" <arthur () WUSTL EDU>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 17:14:54 -0500

Sorry if I was vague.  DMCA requires, as Tim points out, that the offending content have access removed - but only for
resources that are owned by the institution (17 U.S.C. Section 512(c) ).  Since the thread seemed to pointed towards
students and thus student-owned computers, I was referencing how the institution is affected for DMCA complaints about
them (17 U.S.C. Sectin 512(a) ).  A good reference is the Educause DMCA FAQ
(http://www.educause.edu/policy/campus/dmcafaq).

Matt
______________________________________
Matthew K. Arthur, CISSP | Director - Media Services & Incident Communications Solutions
Information Services & Technology | Washington University in St. Louis
Campus Box 1110, 7425 Forsyth Blvd, St. Louis, MO 63105-2161
314.935.3899 o | 314.323.9246 c | arthur () wustl edu<mailto:arthur () wustl edu>
P Please consider the environment before printing
This email, including attachments may include confidential and/or proprietary information, and may be used only by the
person or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this email is not the intended recipient or his/her
authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email is
prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and delete
this email immediately.