Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

DMCA Infringement

From: Ozzie Paez <ozpaez () SPRYNET COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 15:26:25 -0600

This is an area that is of great interest to me as a systems engineer and
senior business process analyst who provides input into administrative
program designs, security, etc.  The role of culture as an enabler and
barrier is of critical importance, particularly on university campuses
because technology has compressed generations from a traditional fifteen
years to something less than five.  A colleague of mine and I had a paper
published this year by Rhodes University in South Africa that dealt with
this issue, which is one of many they face as a cross-road center of
culture, geography, etc.  In any event, does anyone know of a cultural
survey or surveys that have been carried out recently to evaluate student
attitudes towards security, including compliance with laws and regulations
such as DMCA?

Years ago, IBM screamed, yelled and threatened to get users of their
'flexible storage disks' to stop calling them Floppy Disks (and the original
8.5" and 10" ones really flopped!).  History shows that they failed because
it had caught on with the culture, particularly at Universities.  So, I'm
wondering about the magnitude and shifts in the cultural patterns behind
issues such as DMCA compliance.

Regards to all,

Ozzie Paez
SSE